Sunday, January 24, 2010

Workin' 9-5: What a way to earn a livin'

Tomorrow marks my return to work after being off for the better part of the last 2 weeks because of this infection I've had that's made me so sick.
I am always apprehensive about going back to work after having a period of time off due to illness, but I feel especially anxious about it this time because of the length of time I was away. I am also especially disappointed because, as I noted here on this blog, one of my goals for this New Year was to miss less work due to illness. The thing that poses me the biggest problem is the way it affects my relationships with the people I work with. Unfortunately, there are some bad apples in my fruit basket of colleagues and some rumours of whether or not I am a big ol' faker have been passed around. Knowing that this is the impression the people I spend more time with than my own family have of me is enough to make me never want to show up to work again because, as much as I tell myself that they can jump up their own asses, I can't help but care what other people think of me.
When you've had problems with your health the way I have you start to recognise that there are certain consequences that are going to come along with that. It definitely limits my life in far more ways than just work and I have lost friends and created strained relationships with people in my family because of it. My integrity, however, has never been called into question the way it has at my current position. It doesn't seem to matter how many times my various doctors can provide the information they ask for, they want more and more proof that I'm not staying home to watch day time TV or taking mini holidays. I wish I knew how to seperate myself from it but the truth is that it does hurt my feelings and make me feel a very definite way about some of the people I work with.
I have long suspected that I am not the type of person who is cut out to work Monday-Friday, 9-5 but that it what I have been doing for the last several years. I'd really love to be able to find a job where I could work fewer days and go to school so I could actually (finally!) finish my degree and move on to a career that I actually enjoy. I am always searching for work I can do for fewer days, do partly or entirely from home or have a more flexible schedule but there just isn't very much out there at the moment.
Until I find my dream job, though, I am back to the office. Cubicle, here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're feeling better, Steph! I hope that your first day back went ok.
    I'm with you in that it sucks going back after you've been sick. I would spend the entire sick day feeling guilty, even though I was actually sick!
    Hang in there!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete