Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 5: Ice Cream, Garlic Bread and Popcorn

No no, I didn't eat any of these things today... but I was craving them in a big way. Adrian calls ice cream my "Achilles' Heel" because, if I had the choice, I would literally live off of ice cream. I don't understand people who say they don't like ice cream.. There are like a thousand flavours, who could not like ice cream?? a real mystery...
Anyway, now that I am a few days into this Detox I find myself craving things I don't even eat... Example: Last night, I was watching TV and a commercial for some restaurant food chain that we don't even have in Canada came on, advertising shrimp. I hate shrimp and would never get it at a restaurant and yet if I could have jumped through the TV screen and eaten the shrimp and all the accompaniments, I just might have. Funny that.
After this detox, I will be able to add back in meat (which for me will be poultry, fish and lean red meat) and some other things like cereal and nuts. I am already fantasizing about the first meal I cook with protein that isn't lentils or beans.
Speaking of cooking, all this planning and cooking is getting to be a real pain in the ass. I actually do like cooking, but when you are so limited in what you can cook and have to spend so much time prepping all these fresh veggies... it's not always a joy. I'm sure that as I get more used to it I will find lower maintenance ways to cook with all these veggies but I do miss the days of chicken and pasta. And takeout. :)

Day 5 went pretty well and, other than my stomach still being in full-time revolt, I think I am actually starting to feel a difference from all this clean eating business. I might be imagining, and wishful thinking, it but I will take any small positive and run with it. Especially when I can't have garlic bread.
Other than going to work, I really haven't left the house very much since starting the detox other than for grocery shopping, etc. Last night, we went over to a friend's house and they were just finishing up dinner. We purposely ate at home (veggie stir fry without the oil on brown rice and carrot soup) but it was still hard being around the cheese and crackers and other snacky things that were out. At one point, I felt so hungry that I took them up on their leftover salad and felt much better afterwards. I even left out the things in the salad I wasn't supposed to have like figs and almonds.

AND I finally got my exercising in today, yay me. 30 minutes on the exercise bike, so not exactly Olympic training but I felt good about getting it done. I still need to do two more days to get my three days this week, which means Friday and Saturday.

I give this day a C+... It would have been better if my stomach would calm the hell down and if I wasn't feeling so hungry and cravy (new word, go with it) but still a pass!

No comments:

Post a Comment