Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 1: Cooking and Prep Day

Alright, here we go: Day 1 of my 50 lbs in 50 weeks Challenge.
I am feeling a little intimidated by the 50 lb goal because it seems like such a lot of weight to lose, but I am going to try and just think of it in increments of 5 lbs. Then I just have to do that 10 times... oy... :)

Originally, I was going to use today as Day 1 of my detox but I have decided to move that to tomorrow and to do a bunch of prep today. I have drafted out my eating plan and will be cooking and preparing as much of the food today as I can so the next 5 days at work go as smoothly as possible. Once I get everything prepped, I will post my meal plan for the week and what I got at the grocery store.

Today I had a cinnamon bun for breakfast (not good, I know!), some yogurt and fruit for lunch and will be having Potato Salmon cakes (grilled salmon, potatoes, onions and dill... they are pretty healthy) with salad for dinner. Tomorrow will be a very different story!

Update:

So it's nearly 10:30 and my house smells like simmering veggies and spices.
I went out today and split my grocery shopping into three trips: Costco, Produce Market and Safeway. At all three stores, I spent a total of $180.
My grocery list was:
Costco:
Oranges, Oats, Clementines, Spring Mix, Butternut Squash, Asparagus, Celery, Mushrooms, Carrots, Lemons, Brown Rice, Pam cooking spray, Skim Milk, eggs, Canned corn niblets and Yogurt
Produce:
Bananas (for hubby, I'm allergic), Red grapes, Zucchini, Garlic, Red cabbage, Spaghetti squash, Onions, cucumber and tomatoes.
Safeway:
Canned pumpkin, Chickpeas, Black beans, kidney beans, lentils and vegetable broth.

There were other things I needed for the recipes I found that I already had in my cupboards, like canned tomatoes.


Tonight, I made a vegetable chili, a lentil soup and prepped some other veggies. I was planning on making a carrot soup as well, but I got too tired. Before I go to bed, I want to pack a bunch of things to take with me to work tomorrow.
I plan to start off every day with Oatmeal with Skim milk and a small piece of fruit.

It's funny, after we got home and I saw that I had a few followers and all this cooking to do I suddenly felt really overwhelmed. Now that I have put it out there that my goal is 50 lbs, it seems all the more daunting. With all the things I wanted to make, the bags and bags of vegetables I rarely cook with was also freaking me out a little bit. I feel a lot better now that I've got some things done and plan on doing some more when I finish work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment