Sunday, January 10, 2010

Eating for the Earth

One more thing to introduce before I get down to the nitty gritty...
Eating for environmental sustainability.
For the last little while I have been wanting to figure out how to be more environmentally savvy regarding food. I have been doing some research recently on how to eat more seasonally, locally and organically. There are quite a few websites that can help you out with this depending on the area you live, but one I found particularly interesting and helpful is the 100 Mile Challenge website:
http://100milediet.org/
There are a lot of great resources on there, I definitely recommend checking it out.
The other recommendation I have is a documentary called "Food, Inc" about the Food Industry in the US and the "behind the scenes" things going on with food production, etc before it hits the grocery store shelves. It's a really interesting movie and definitely gives you something to think about. The website for their movie is:
http://www.foodincmovie.com/

Throughout this process I will be doing my best to support the environment through my grocery shopping, etc from the Vancouver area. I have already discovered some farmer's markets I didn't know about and things like local organic cheeses and things. I have also found that it should get a lot easier in the summer because so much more produce is available locally than it is during the next few months.

Food for thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment