Tuesday, March 2, 2010

We'll Always Have the File Room

Ah Life, you crazy unpredictable bastard.
Just when I am posting about how my new schedule at work is going really well, the powers that be decide it's time to pull that carpet out from under me and Whoosh!, it's gone.
I went into work today feeling quite plucky, ready to get this ridiculous File Room project in order and to grab this new position by the horns and go all out like some sort of Organization Rock Star. Would I let the fact that a trained chimp could do this job bother me? No! Would the endless cardboard paper cuts and heavy lifting get me down? Absolutely not! Would I stand in the middle of the file room surrounded by boxes of crap and just stare at them, hoping to work a little Mary Poppins magic on them? Okay, yes, I did do that.
No sooner than I arrived, though, did my day start to go a bit tits up. Because the laser in our laser printer is broken, all print jobs had to be sent through the Print Shop in the basement. Upon taking a trip down there, I ran into the girl who covered for me while I was away for surgery over the summer. She totally surprised me by telling me how awful the girls I work with are and how they had "really nasty things" to say about me "every 2nd day". Was I shocked and appalled that the girls who I hear gossiping and bitching about people on a daily basis could say something about Perfect Me? No, but it still hurts to hear it from someone and confirm that you're not just paranoid - they really are talking about you. The silver lining was that while one my colleagues who shall remain nameless was making up totally lies about me, this woman who didn't know me from Adam thought it all sounded a bit suspect and when she did a little digging discovered that I wasn't in fact incompetent or lazy and that this aforementioned colleague is simply an immature high school bully who has spent a little too much time gossiping and not enough time being a grown up.
Cut to my first break of the day and my attempt at eating a healthy number of calories per day while sticking to a tight budget. I had a non fat yogurt, which was delicious but the Weight Watchers muffin I brought was a big Zero. I wouldn't recommend these store bought muffins at all - although they get high points in convenience, they are sickly sweet and have an artificial-y taste to them. Next time, I will bake my own.
I went back to work, imagining all the ways I could deal with my Gossip Girl colleague... my favourite of which was approaching her cubicle and asking in a very polite voice if she would be able to explain to me why she is such a heinous bitch. I, of course, went another direction and was simply very nice to her. I hope you really can kill a person with kindness because my confrontational skills are sorely lacking.
Lunch was leftover casserole that I brought from home and was pretty good and I drank my weight in water throughout the day, so good for me. *pat on the back*
The afternoon started with an email from my union rep, requesting my presence at a meeting with HR. Oh joy. So... insurance has come back, denied my claim for benefit (shocking, I know) and so I have until the end of the week to have my Dr appeal it (which he will) or I have to go immediately back to Full time, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. Then I have to choose between my new job (See: Trained Chimp) or my old job (See: Working directly with Heinous Bitch). A real Sophie's choice, I know.
So I come home, thinking the day was stressful enough to warrant eating my weight in chocolate and ice cream... but I did not. I even had to stop at the store on the way home that was right next to a Starbucks and, though tempted to go in and get a big calorific frapp, I went home and ate an orange.
Some lovely girls came to my house to watch the season finale of "Super Fake Love Show" (Aka, The Bachelor) and we had sushi for dinner and a wee bit of wine. It was likely not the very BEST choice, but I know I could have done a lot worse.
Now said sushi and wine is churning around in my stomach and, despite the fact that it is nearly 4 AM, I am wide awake and dining on Ginger tea and some tums. Ah, the good life.

1 comment:

  1. Steph,
    I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. They are hilarious and most of them are something we can all relate too...see part about yucky weight watchers food :) Keep it up!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete